Cancer can be a very scary diagnosis for anyone. However, skin cancer is one of the easiest cancers to spot and treat with success. Dr. Stanley Skopit and his team at Dania Dermatology in Dania, Florida, encourage patients of all ages to schedule an annual skin cancer screening with a professional. However, in-between appointments, there are a few ways for patients to monitor for changes that may be indicative of cancerous cells. Our team can walk you through how to perform a skin cancer self-examination.
Skin Cancer Self-examination Steps
Here are the basics to get you started:
- Look at the front and back of the body in a full-length mirror.
- Raise your arms and evaluate the right and left sides of each arm.
- Examine the underarm area.
- Bending your elbows, look carefully at the palms and forearms.
- Sit down and bring up your left to look at the feet and legs, as well as the soles of the feet.
- Use another smaller mirror to check the neck and scalp.
- Evaluate the back and buttocks with a smaller mirror as well.
What Should I Be Looking For During My Skin Cancer Self-Examination
During your skin cancer self-examination, be on the lookout for any unusual changes in the appearance of your skin. Some common signs and symptoms of skin cancer include:
- Moles or spots that are different from other moles or spots on your body
- A change in the size, shape, color, texture, or feel of a spot
- An area that is sore or itchy and does not go away
- Open sores or ulcers that do not heal within three weeks
- Areas of redness, swelling, tenderness, crusting, or bleeding.
If you notice any of these symptoms during your self-exam, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Stanley Skopit for further evaluation as soon as possible.
Schedule Your Professional Examination Today!
It is highly recommended that adults have skin cancer screenings at least every year. If you are due for a skin cancer screening or have performed a self-examination and found an area of concern, it is critical that you make an appointment with a dermatologist at Dania Dermatology. Call 954-807-9433 to request an evaluation with Dr. Stanley Skopit and his team in Dania, Florida.