Melasma is a common condition characterized by dark patches typically found on the cheeks, nose, forehead, and upper lip. While melasma is painless and benign, many patients at Dania Dermatology choose to treat it for cosmetic reasons. If you’re unhappy with pigmentation issues from melasma, read on to learn more or contact our Dania, Florida office at 954-807-9433 to book a consultation.
What Is the Main Cause of Melasma?
- Pregnancy: Many women develop melasma for the first time during pregnancy as their estrogen and progesterone levels increase.
- Birth control pills: Similarly, an increase in estrogen or progesterone from hormonal birth control can trigger this condition.
- Other medications: Anti-seizure medications or medications that make your skin more photosensitive (like retinoids or certain antibiotics) can worsen melasma.
- Medium or dark skin tone: This condition develops more frequently in those with dark or olive skin.
- Genetic predisposition: You might be more likely to develop melasma if you have a family history.
How Is Melasma Diagnosed?
Can You Get Rid of Melasma at Home?
What Are the Top Treatments for Melasma?
- Retin-A: Also called tretinoin, this prescription-strength topical retinoid promotes new cell turnover giving your skin a more even tone.
- Chemical peels: TCA or glycolic acid peels cause the top layer of skin cells to slough off and reveal a clearer complexion.
- Laser treatments: Fraxel or CO2 laser resurfacing treatments can improve the appearance of melasma by using an intense light beam to kick off cell rejuvenation.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy: IPL can target brown pigment in the skin causing it to rise to the surface and then flake away.
- Microdermabrasion: A course of treatments can reduce the appearance of melasma by exfoliating the skin and stimulating cell renewal.
Schedule Your Dania, Florida Melasma Treatment Consultation
Dania Dermatology's experienced providers love helping our patients find skincare solutions that make them look and feel their best. To find out which treatment we’d recommend for your melasma, call 954-807-9433 to book a consultation at our convenient Dania Point location.
Disclaimer: Most of our cosmetic services are performed by the renowned Dr. Bertha Baum at her private practice in Hallandale Beach (Hollywood Dermatology). Let us facilitate your complimentary consultation with her team of experts.