The skin on your lips is one of the most sensitive areas on your body, and they can quickly become dry, chapped, and irritated at any time during the year. There are several unique factors that can cause dry lips, including weather, dehydration, and certain medical conditions. Fortunately, there are a couple things you can do to heal your dry lips and keep them healthy.
Below are some tips for how to heal dry, chapped lips from the team at Dania Dermatology in Dania, FL:
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is one of the most typical causes of dry lips, so it’s essential to ensure you’re drinking enough fluids throughout the day. Water is always the best choice, but you can also get hydration from other beverages like unsweetened tea or coffee.
- Use a lip balm or Vaseline. Applying a lip balm or Vaseline can help to lock in moisture and protect your lips from the elements. Choose a product that contains SPF if you’ll be spending time outdoors to further protect the thin skin of the lips and reduce one’s risk of developing skin cancer or other complications.
- Avoid licking your lips. It may seem counterintuitive, but licking your lips actually makes them drier. This is because saliva evaporates quickly, taking moisture with it.
- Avoid harsh ingredients. Many lip products contain drying ingredients like alcohol or menthol. These can aggravate dryness, so it’s best to avoid them if you have sensitive skin.
- Exfoliate gently. Gently exfoliating your lips can help to remove dead skin cells and allow moisture to penetrate. You can use a store-bought lip scrub or even make your own by mixing sugar with a few drops of olive or coconut oil.
- Use a humidifier. If the air in your house is dry, it can actually contribute to dry lips. Using a humidifier can add moisture back into the air and relieve dryness.
- See your doctor. In some cases, dry lips might be a sign of an underlying medical condition like Sjogren’s syndrome or celiac disease. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor for further evaluation.
By following these simple tips, you can heal your dry lips and keep them healthy and hydrated all year long! If you are interested in more information regarding maintaining moisturized lips and skin, connect with the team at Dania Dermatology of Dania, FL. Dr. Stanley Skopit and his team are here to help! Call 954-807-9433 to request an appointment.